The process of sealcoating asphalt surfaces is intended to preserve asphalt pavement from the damaging effects of moisture and sun’s intense toll on the surface. Like applying a moisturizer with a SPF to your skin, a consistent maintenance program to seal your parking and driving surfaces of your property, will block out the harmful effects of the weather. Filling in those gaps and crevices caused by the environment and age will ensure its longevity, its durability and its overall strength to keep up with the pounding sun of our South Carolina summers and the cold temperatures in the winter. Keep in mind, that while sealing is a common practice, it is highly recommended that you have a professional seal your asphalt surfaces for safety and the even coating of a professional application will ensure a longer lasting and more uniformed look.
Sealing your asphalt parking lot will:
- Prevent gas, oil, and salt damage. Only coal tar sealer protects asphalt against the highly damaging effect of gas and oil seepage and all other road chemicals.
- Stop weather damage. Sealing asphalt prevents accumulation of moisture and water seepage in porous pavement structures.
- Prevent oxidation. The sun’s rays harden and dry out the asphalt surface. This accelerates raveling and can reduce asphalt thickness by as much as half in just five years.
- Reduce maintenance costs. The smooth, even surface of sealed pavement makes sweeping and maintenance simpler and cheaper.
- Beautify pavement. Sealing provides an attractive slate black appearance and restores the original color to asphalt.